Spirit W3 - Crashed my TDR today :(

In case you do not know something or you are not sure, here is the right place for your question.
Post Reply
Sepp62
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat 07. Feb 2015 22:14:51

I am looking for the reason why my TDR crashed today. Here is the story:

- The model was equipped with a Spirit Pro, then a GTR. Everything with these 2 units worked fine, especially the rescue function.
- The I replaced the GTR with one of the first W3 units from February this year.
- On the first flights, I noticed, that I can easily "confuse" the rescue function unit by some "overhead maneuvers", such as piroflips.
- I left the model unused for a couple of months, since I had no idea how to solve the problem.

Today I decided to give it another try. Again, I could confuse the rescue function with some piroflips. I tried this with a comfortable altitude and released the rescue button as soon as I noticed an abnormal behaviour. Rescue started to give full negative pitch and despite releasing the rescue button immediately, I could not catch the model. It plunged straight into the ground.

I read somewhere that a couple of early W3 units might have miscalibrated acceleration sensors. How can I check this? Should you send the device in for service?

Attached you find the flight log and the settings.
Attachments
TDR.3.7.2.4ds
(255 Bytes) Downloaded 9 times
crash_270926.log
(399.62 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Sepp62
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat 07. Feb 2015 22:14:51

Sorry, the settings file in the previous post was the wrong one. Please find attached the correct file here.
Attachments
w3_TDR_spirit-settings.4ds
(255 Bytes) Downloaded 19 times
ZeXx86
Site Admin
Posts: 13045
Joined: Mon 29. Apr 2013 16:06:44
Contact:

Hello,

thank you for detailed sharing of the problem. I am very sorry to see about the crash.
You can always check rescue functionality without risk of crashing just by landing and quickly trying Rescue mode.

You can find accelerometer data with CTRL+ALT+M. And eventually reset them into factory defaults with CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+U. After second one it should display similar values.
Spirit System developer
Sepp62
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat 07. Feb 2015 22:14:51

Please find the parameters in the attachment.
Attachments
TDR_Spirit_W3_Acc.png
TDR_Spirit_W3_Acc.png (7.78 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
Sepp62
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat 07. Feb 2015 22:14:51

After resetting calibration, values are similar.

I cannot trust the unit anymore and I will not do further flying with it. It is possible to send it in and get a checkup?
Sepp62
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat 07. Feb 2015 22:14:51

I did the following test today:
- I uninstalled the Spirit unit from the heli, connected it to the settings software and applied a small battery.
- Then I opened the diagnostics tab with the live view.
- I adjusted the unit on the table to have a definite position while starting the unit and the settings all.
- Then I threw the unit into the air, trying to do as many spins as possible (with the battery attached).

After a couple of throws, the live view was completely disoriented.

See the screenshot, which shows the unit lying properly adjusted in the initial position.

I repeated the same test with a brand new W3 and was not able to get it disoriented.

My guess is, that the sensor of this unit is not working properly.
Tt3GMhHGcN6UZSbr.png
Post Reply